Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Little Blu-ray Media Player

Sometime early September my bank's CRM told me to pick a gift using the free voucher I've earned. Having most of the electronic gadgets I decided to look for something that will fill the gap. The Samsung Blu-ray DVD player caught my attention only because it has Internet connectivity. With that it can transform my 4 year plus LCD TV into a smart TV. It happened I already have an Ethernet cable pulled to my entertainment centre from the router. So using the credit from the voucher I paid a small sum of RM50 to get the player. Before that I researched its features and was pleased that it is DLNA certified. By that is means it is able to detect through the common wired or wireless network other similarly certified (otherwise enabled by installing proprietary softwares) devices to be able to play multimedia files from them. This means one is not tied down to be sitting before the PC monitor but be able to share pictures, videos and music stored in the computer to the living room and other devices, including smartphones, giving greater access to a larger audience. I felt excited by what this little baby can do.

What makes this network media player really interesting is it can pull Youtube broadcasts, news, Facebook and other documentaries from the Internet onto the big screen. Because it connects using the HDMI cable to the TV the digital signals are clearer and sharper. The only bottleneck is the bandwidth of the Internet connection. With my 4Mbps Streamyx service it delivers the video downloads without much buffering.

This little baby helps me appreciate what wireless network can do. But because my PC must be switched on and the DLNA program launched to allow it to be 'seen' in the network by the Samsung. I'm not in the habit of leaving the PC running 24/7 because I believe in resting it to extend its service life. My next project will ensure my multimedia files can be accessed 24/7 and not only across my home network but also, if necessary, on the Internet anywhere around the world where it is available. The project is the NAS or Network Attached Storage. In contention are Buffalo and Synology with the latter under serious consideration.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter, interesting toy you have there. I am surprised that you have to leave your PC on for your player to get net access. Turning on my wireless router + ADSL is normally is enough to do the job. Unless you are streaming files or videos from your PC - then what you say makes sense. Otherwise, I can surf the net on my TV with just the router/ADSL turned on. Andrew.

Peter Yew said...

Andrew, sounds like you're equally fanciful about IT stuff that I can learn from you. Net access for my player doesn't require my PC to be on since it is connected to the router, not the PC. You're right about the streaming part which is why I'm going for NAS. I've just ordered the Synology DS-213j to back up my multimedia and document files. This will be the media server rather than the PC. The fun really begins after that.

Anonymous said...

I see. After you have installed the Synology, do write a review about it. Good luck. Andrew

Irene Yew said...

Pa, I'm like reading Greek in your comments. LOL. Blu-Ray... the first time I hear about this was when a tenant requested for it. Otherwise I'd still be in the HDMI/CD/MP3 DVD age. *shy* Too bad I didn't pick up this IT genes from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...