Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Dragon Cometh ...

A magnificent display of fireworks from at least 4 groups close to my mother's house greeted me as midnight approaches on the eve of the Lunar New Year last Sunday. I had equivalent of a front seat view and hear the rockets shrieking into the clear skies before exploding into sparkling stars of red, blue, green, yellow and purple. Indeed it was a rare sight. Even the locals said to me this has been the most spectacular show put up spontaneously by some residents ushering in the dragons of the new year. As if on cue, soundless but gentle, tiny kong ming lanterns floated gracefully up and in the directions of the gentle night breeze. I count at least 30 of them. I wonder if law enforcement has slackened since such lanterns can endanger low flying aircrafts. Or perhaps the police were busy looking elsewhere, or on leave. Well, it is the Chinese New Year, and I personally feel releasing such devices should be conditionally allowed. By 12.15am the intensity and frequency of display as well as blasts from firecrackers had diminished. The only other sound that filled the smokey and acrid air was from loud speakers blaring out Malay songs from a nearby hawker centre. We tried to sleep but to no avail. I cannot remember when but the music soon died down as business dwindled and the night swallowed us all into restful slumber to greet the new year morning when we awake.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...