Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sayonara My Office

I remember in August 1988 I moved into my office when I started my glove business. It was a small partition off an entire floor which today is fully taken up so we have grown in a sense. I remember where I used to sit and the executive desk and swivel chair I occupied. Several years ago I vacated into a smaller room so that my executive office could be used for a growing number of management staff. Suddenly we are not that spacious but cramped, like what I used to see in lawyer and accountant offices. And everyone has a workstation. I remember when I started off we had just one desktop PC and one dot matrix printer. Were we ancient by comparison today!

Since I changed status last year I no longer go into my office regularly like before. In fact I sneakily go in less and less often in the past few years, like a slow withdrawal, so my staff won't suddenly see nothing of me. But for the past months I had made a Houdini act, I disappeared!

What this means is I have to give up my office space since people are wondering why there is this unused real estate while everyone else are almost elbow to elbow, literally speaking. Plus my daughter was elevated and deserved a better spot. I took time to sort out what can be junked and what need to be kept. Today I completed the ritual. With the office closed for the weekend I went in and symbolically cleared stuffs I feel no pain in throwing out. However I have a set of varsity text books I am sentimentally attached to. I always think there is this 0.0001% likelihood I may need them if I decide to go back to varsity one day. You don't believe me? Anyway I kept a few as well as several management books I acquired over the years, books my daughter may want to read in her spare time. And the Chemistry books, maybe one day I'll show off some of the technical words you can't find in dictionaries or online!

There was no tears, no funny achy feeling (apart from my achy back) that an era is passed. Just the relief and satisfaction that my decision to go into business 23 years ago had given thousands of employees a chance to earn a living through us. For now, when I drive into the factory compound, I am still greeted by the security guard who recognized me. But 90% of the office staff don't recognize me, which don't bother me, so long as they do their work and help the company make money.

3 comments:

Catherine Lee said...

Enjoy reading your stories !

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter,i salute you for letting go,only a great person can Let Go something he started.But remember this words my dear friend...

To let go isn’t to forget, not to think about, or ignore. It doesn’t leave feelings of anger, jealousy or regret. Letting go isn’t winning, and it isn’t losing. It’s not about pride, and it’s not about how you appear, it’s not about obsessing or dwelling on the past. Letting go isn’t blocking memories or thinking sad thoughts, it doesn’t leave emptiness, hurt or sadness. It’s not giving up or giving in. Letting go isn’t about loss, and it isn’t defeat. To let go of something is to cherish the memories, to overcome and move on. It’s having an open mind and confidence in the future. Letting go is accepting, it’s learning, it’s experiencing. To let go is to be thankful for the experiences that once made you cry, laugh, love and grow. It’s about all that you had and all you still have. Letting go is having the courage to accept change and the strength to keep moving. It’s growing up, realising that a heart can sometimes change and it can also be the most potent remedy. To let go is to open a door, clear a path and set yourself free.

Kindest Regards and GOD BLESS fr AL MAL.

Peter Yew said...

Hi Catherine, thank you for the encouragement. Hope I will continue to blog other interesting topics.

Thanks Al for the many words of wisdom, certainly you are wise to believe and to share. I am blessed to read them. Peter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...