Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My Latest PC Addition

The Dell purchase experience is unrivalled. Two days after my order was confirmed I received an email assuring me that my PC will be delivered 4 days later on October 25. It was the preciseness of delivery that amazes me as the supply chain logistics involve many parties. I could have bought another PC in fewer days off the rack but ordering a custom build unit is interesting, so takes time. Just like ordering freshly baked pizzas. So today to my great anticipation, and impatience, my Dell XPS 8300 arrived today at 11.30am as promised. It was a customized system that has the main specs below.

1. 2nd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 Processor (3.0GHz, 6MB cache)
2. 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory
3. Built-in 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
4. 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
5. 16X DVD+/-RW with Dual Layer Write Capabilities
6. AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3
7. Integrated high definition 7.1 channel audio
8. Dell™ 1501 Wireless-N Mini PCI Card (802.11 b/g/n compliant)
9. Dell(TM) Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse Bundle
10. Genuine Windows® 7 Professional SP1 64 bit (English)
11. Microsoft(R) Office Home and Student 2010 (SEA)
12. DELL ST2320L 23"W HD Monitor with WLED and supported by a
13. 3-year XPS Premier Service with 1-year CompleteCover

It is not a particularly high powered PC but more than adequate to meet my usage pattern and demand. And I paid just over RM3100 for it. I spent 3 hours assembling it configuring the software and installing new ones. On the whole I am pleased with it but am weary that some of the older software that ran under the 32 bit Windows system now cannot run under the newer 64 bit system which my new PC is based on. The bigger 23" screen is fantastic and the bundled Arcsoft Stage multimedia software resembles that of Picasa and Apple.


I got the space all ready for the new PC


After installation. Notice my wireless printer on the right


The Home screen showing the Stage multimedia icons


I suggest covering the Windows licence in a protective screen like this

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter,well done with your new PC,i am sure you will document your new N3's with renewed vigour.Will be looking forward to your writings.God Bless and regards from AL MAL.

Peter Yew said...

Dear Al, I most certainly will. With the right inspirations I will write as best as I can. Thanks for visiting. Peter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...