Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Don't Know About Tomorrow

Today is the 10th anniversary of 911, an event filled with great evil that stunned all civilized society who arose to condemn its cowardice. We remember those who died undeservingly and their families who suffer over their untimely losses. Indeed we don't know our tomorrows but God does. The title hymn spun into my head and I thought I should write about it on this day madness and fear attacked our human society.

The caption is the title of a familiar, popular and spiritually comforting hymn sung typically to assure both self and the bereaved that God stands welcoming us, His children, with open arms into His Presence, with love and compassion. It isn't a song of surrender but a song seeking refuge in God who provides for all things. Including peace we long for but always so elusive.

In this life, or the next, we see God availing Himself for those who decide that they belong with Him and no one else. Living upon this earth is not easy. From birth to death we are confronted by temptations to sin, and we fall into sin. We succumb to the ways of the world and are ensnared by pressures to conform to its standards and expectations. God is distant until we see how wayward we have become. We become tired and soon desire to belong to a life free from the cares and the pain and the sufferings of the world. Like a prodigal son we navigate our way home to the cozy bosom of God.

This song is sung by a person who discovered the secret of fleeing from a life that entraps and imprisons into one that trust in what Jesus offers, companionship and leadership to the lost and weary.

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine,
For its skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said,
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.

Ev'ry step is getting brighter,
As the golden stairs I climb;
Ev'ry burden's getting lighter;
Ev'ry cloud is silver lined.
There the sun is always shining,
There no tear will dim the eyes,
At the ending of the rainbow,
Where the mountains touch the sky.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.

I don't know about tomorrow,
It may bring me poverty;
But the One Who feeds the sparrow,
Is the One Who stands by me.
And the path that be my portion,
May be through the flame or flood,
But His presence goes before me,
And I'm covered with His blood.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...