Saturday, September 03, 2011

First Taste of Big Screen Streaming Video

Last night my wife and I enjoyed our very first streaming video to my LCD TV off my iPad 1 through an AV adapter purchased from Apple Store. It was after several tweaking of the HDMI cable and TV settings from which I found to my dismay I can't play video downloaded nor children stories nor pictures. I can only view podcasts and happily video streamed from a China web server that serves hundreds of movies and tv serials. I may be lucky but the free movie watching is precisely what I was hoping for, an alternative to satellite broadcasts my wife currently watch but with limited choices. Again as luck would have it, the connection speed last night was good and there was little lags and freezes most of the time. I was wondering why my iPad cannot deliver all graphics and videos to the big screen. My TV is full HD delivering 1080p resolution. Maybe the answer lies in this explanation I captured from this old PCMag Article I extract below.

The iPad can output video to an HDTV just like an iPad 2. Apple announced the Digital AV Adapter alongside the iPad 2, and showed off its video-mirroring feature as a strong benefit of the new tablet. Unfortunately, video mirroring only works with the iPad 2, but the adapter itself works just fine with the old iPad. You can still use your original iPad as an HDTV-slinging movie player, albeit at 720p compared to the iPad 2's 1080p maximum output resolution. (Update: The Digital AV Adapter only works with the first iPad at up to 720p, while the iPad 2 can output at 1080p through the adapter and supports video mirroring. You can still send video to your HDTV through your original iPad, but it will be slightly lower resolution. Whether that's a deal-breaker is up to you.)

I am still hoping my iPad will work as it should. I have plan to get a digital media player to complement the range of entertainment we, in particular my wife, can enjoy.

2 comments:

LittleLamb said...

I tried using the USB cable that came with my ipad2 to hook to the TV. Cant work :( Not sure where's the problem

Peter Yew said...

You need to buy the AV adapter from Apple that connects your iPad 2 to the HDMI cable to your LCD or LED TV. The adaper also allow you to simultaneously charge the iPad. If your TV is full HD it will display what you see on the iPad screen. Hook up to your home theatre you will enjoy the video from your iPad with great sound effect. I presume you have wireless connection.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...