Saturday, August 06, 2011

Sukiyaki

This was one of the most endearing Japanese songs I like and it remain one of my favorites till today although I can't sing the original version but the English version sung by the Blue Diamonds. Sukiyaki was sung by Kyu Sakamoto, a pimply Japanese singer in 1963.

The following was extracted from Wikipedia.

Sakamoto was born in Kawasaki, Kanagawa prefecture as the youngest among nine siblings—his nickname Kyu, meaning 'nine', is an alternate reading of the kanji for his given name (Hisashi). His parents, Hiroshi Sakamoto and Iku Sakamoto, both worked at a restaurant. Sakamoto is cousin to the free-jazz saxophonist Kaoru Abe. In high school Sakamoto began to sing and became very popular. In 1958 he joined the Japanese pop-band "The Drifters" as a singer.

On August 12, 1985, Kyu Sakamoto died in the crash of Japan Airlines Flight 123.

Sukiyaki was popular in both Japan and the States where it topped the billboard chart for 3 weeks in 1963, a feat for a Japanese song unrivalled till today. Sukiyaki was not the name of the Japanese song which was called Ue o muite aruko (translated as 'I look up when I walk') but was chosen for the western listeners as the name was easier to pronounce and sound 'Japanese' although it refers to a popular Japanese dish usually containing beef and vegetables simmered in a pot containing water and sauce. The lyrics told the story of a man who looks up and whistles as he walks so that his tears won't fall to the ground. But the lyrics of the Blue Diamonds version was more romantic.

The Lyrics by Kyu Sakamoto:

Looking up while walking
Ue wo muite arukou
上を向いて歩こう

So the tears won't fall
Namida ga koborenai youni
涙がこぼれないように

Remembering those spring days
Omoidasu haru no hi
思い出す春の日

All alone at night
Hitoribocchi no yoru
一人ぼっちの夜

Looking up while walking
Ue wo muite arukou
上を向いて歩こう

And counting the scattered stars
Nijinda hoshi wo kazoete
にじんだ星をかぞえて

Remembering those summer days
Omoidasu natsu no hi
思い出す夏の日

All alone at night
Hitoribocchi no yoru
一人ぼっちの夜

Happiness lies above the clouds
Shiawase wa kumo no ue ni
幸せは雲の上に

Happiness lies above the sky
Shiawase wa sora no ue ni
幸せは空の上に

Looking up while walking
Ue wo muite arukou
上を向いて歩こう

So the tears won't fall
Namida ga koborenai youni
涙がこぼれないように

Keep walking on, while crying
Naki nagara aruku
泣きながら歩く

It's a lonely night
Hitoribocchi no yoru
一人ぼっちの夜

Remembering those autumn days
Omoidasu aki no hi
思い出す秋の日

Sadness is in the shadow of the stars
Kanashimi wa hoshi no kage ni
悲しみは星の影に

Sadness is in the shadow of the moon
Kanashimi wa tsuki no kage ni
悲しみは月の影に

Looking up while walking
Ue wo muite arukou
上を向いて歩こう

So the tears won't fall
Namida ga koborenai youni
涙がこぼれないように

Keep walking on, while crying
Naki nagara aruku
泣きながら歩く

It's a lonely night
Hitoribocchi no yoru
一人ぼっちの夜

It's a lonely night
Hitoribocchi no yoru
一人ぼっちの夜


The Lyrics by Blue Diamonds

The charms of Sukiyaki
The arms of Sukiyaki
Are all I long for since I left old Nagasaki
Why did I roam far away from home
I hope that she will wait for me

Her smile cannot deceive me
Sweet almond eyes don't leave me
My whole life through I'll be true, darling please believe me
That if I say I'll be back someday
Promise that you will wait for me

When orange blossoms are starting to bloom
We will be united a bride and a groom

I'll take my Sukiyaki
And make my Sukiyaki
The only queen to be seen in old Nagasaki
And from our home we will never roam
When I make Sukiyaki mine

Why did I roam
Far away from home
I hope that she will wait for me

When orange blossoms are starting to bloom
We will be united a bride and a groom

I'll take my Sukiyaki
And make my Sukiyaki
The only queen to be seen in old Nagasaki
And from our home we will never roam
When I make Sukiyaki mine

And from our home
We will never roam
When I make Sukiyaki mine
When I make Sukiyaki mine
All mine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Peter,the only japanese i know are toyota,honda,suzuki,yamaha,and BANZAI,so i am in no position to comment except to say arigatou gozaimasu for sukiyaki. regards AL MAL.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...